Tuesday, April 20, 2010

She did more than exist, she lived...

I had another blog planned for today but when i woke up this morning and saw that Dorothy Height had passed. My heart squeezed...

I'm one of the lucky people who've had the unimaginable honor of meeting Ms. Height.  She was guest at my friend's wedding.  

I tried to play it cool.   Because, well, i am from L.A. and it's not  like i haven't seen or been in the presence of the well-known persons before.  But, oooohhhh this was soooo different.  She didn't announce her arrival by sending her 'personality' five feet ahead.  She graciously greeted, hugged and socialized (it was a wedding after all) while her aura gently and sweetly filled the room. 

And, um, despite my best 'don't-do-it-B' pep-talk, I couldn't help it - i stared.


Who am i kidding?   I gawked.  I ogled.  I stared long and hard... etched every details of her i could into my memory (i'm visual like that...).   And, when it came time for her to leave... i just had to do it.

Hey! Don't judge me... I was standing in front of history.  An elder.  An icon... I shoved my camera toward my friend, Michon and told her,  "Quick, capture the moment!"

Understandably confused, she still took my camera, (Atta girl! Homey!...  She thought  i was going to go up to Ms. Height and ask for a poised photograph......)  Uh no!  I'm waaaaay to cool for that and besides my voice had dissolved like my resolve to 'play-it-cool' - eons ago.

Nope, i'm waaaaaay more subtle than that (see below):
She did more than exist, she lived.
She did more than listen, she understood.
Rest peacefully sweet spirit your light will be missed...

Until next time...b

No comments:

Post a Comment