Saturday, April 24, 2010

The danger of a single story

I shall be telling this with a sigh...
...Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the
difference.
Robert Frost
We live in a world that tells you what your story is instead of invites you to share your story.   And as a result, we've all struggled. 

I remember the first time i heard they were pregnant.  Muuuuu-waaaahhh!  They've become one of us.  

 
He was attentive;

She was beautiful;
they were over the moon filled with joy.
Parenthood is a really unique gift.



a miracle made manifest;

I always say, what it does to your relationship, really, just isn't fair.  (No, conversations should be had at 3 am and you can forget about making a decision...)  One of favorite movie lines from an all-time classic, "As hard as you think it is, you end up wishing it were that easy..." resonated with me when i was sixteen as much as is does now that i'm a momma of two.  She was talking about the experience of parenthood.

I remember the first time I heard they broke up.  My heart sank -  I knew how hard they were trying.   He changed; she changed - they thrived as a family; 
struggled as a couple. 


Around this time I received an email from a friend - it contained a video of a lady speaking about the danger of a single story.  She was spectacular; her message profound.

It helped me to remember two things:
"the will of God will not take you where the grace of God can't keep you..."


 and to remember that:

...there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that others won't feel insecure around (you)... as you shine you unconsciously give other people permission to do the same...


The two of them are working hard to define what love looks like for them.  I applaud their effort and extend to them both my full support.

click here if you have 19 min: Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story. 

Until next time...b

No comments:

Post a Comment